September 4, 2007

Afro Samurai

afro samuraiSeries: Afro Samurai
Episodes: 5
Studio: GONZO
Genre: Seinen

Jeff introduced me to Afro Samurai. When he first told me about it, I was like, "Afro? Like the 70's hairdo?" I was reluctant at first since 1) Samurai for me are Japanese alone and 2) Afro Samurai is based on a doujin. Then Jeff told me that Afro Samurai uses Samuel L. Jackson's voice. Next thing I knew, I was in front of my laptop, clicking 'play'.

Afro Samurai is about a colored samurai named Afro because of his hair (and that sentence just sounded so redundant). He is on a quest to find a gunman named Justice. Justice killed Afro's father, Rokutaro, in order to become "Number 1". It just so happens that Afro is "Number 2" and the rule is that nobody can ever challenge "Number 1" unless it's "Number 2". Okay, for those of you who are not aware of Afro Samurai yet, you're probably confused with all these numbers. I'll break it down because I'm nice.

The setting for Afro Samurai is a futuristic feudal Japan wherein warriors are ranked in numbers. They only get to advance if they beat the one ahead of them regardless of rank. The only rule is that no one can touch "Number 1" unless it's the "Number 2" warrior. The problem is, anyone can give a go at "Number 2". It sucks, but that's their rule. Oh and the way to denote their rank is through a sacred headband (the one on Afro's head on the picture) that shows their number.

Anyway, Afro tries to find Justice to take his revenge but a lot of people won't leave him alone because they want to become "Number 1" themselves. He takes on different enemies like the Empty 7, his old childhood friends and various warriors ranked lower than he is (some with no rank at all yet). Afro also has this companion named Ninja Ninja. He comes out at times when Afro is alone, saying things that Afro can't, so that's already an implication that Ninja could be Afro's conscience or something.

What I like about Afro Samurai is that the fight scenes are animated well and you get enough violence to satisfy you by the time you reach the 5th episode. The story isn't too hard to follow plus, it's a unique storyline too. Definitely worth mentioning as a "favorite" ^^

jeffnote: One of the cool things that invited me to watch Afro Samurai is the soundtrack. Produced by the RZA, the raw, very street, completely hiphop flavor of the OST accompanies the entire presentation quite nicely. The choice of artist isn't anything short of perfect either: RZA does not sound the least bit awkward rapping about number one headbands and swords and shit, thanks to his group's unusual fondness for Shaolin and martial arts. RZA's productions are never cheesy or commercial despite his success in the industry, and it can be clearly heard not only in the soundtrack of Afro Samurai but in other projects as well.

8 comments:

Laura B. Wong said...

SLJ is cool but I felt it was a waste hiring him to do Afro's voice, given that Afro barely says more than 4 words per episode.

mudkipz said...

There are plans of making a live action and Jackson will play Afro.. Should this be enough? ^^

Laura B. Wong said...

Sure, but I wish they gave afro more speaking roles

also the ninja dood is in fact imagined by afro and was explicitly revealed by the guy with the hat and three hands.

mudkipz said...

Jackson voiced Ninja too.

And yes, he was in fact imagined by Afro, but Ninja says things that Afro can't about himself. Ninja probably disappeared because Afro has already accepted the things that he was denying for so long.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I would like to say that you have a nice site going on there and that I definitely felt that Afro Samurai to be a great fast paced, action packed anime. The animation seemed to be up to Gonzo's standards..however the storyline seemed to be pretty shallow since Afro didn't have much speaking parts and it was a short series.

I definitely would've enjoyed a longer series and develop more of the characters further. If you liked this, I'd recommend people to watch Samurai Champloo (directed by Shinichiro Watanabe who also created Cowboy Bebop).

Unknown said...

@stephen Me and Jeff watched Samurai Champloo before. I dunno about him, but I loved it! Mugen and Jin are sooo cool, plus the music seemed to really fit the story being hip and all.

Anonymous said...

I thought this show was pretty awesome. Though some of the animation was quite quick and didn't allow me to see what was happening. This ending leaves room for a continuing series though which I would like to see. Another good samurai animation is Samurai Jack in my opinion.

Unknown said...

@as CN stopped airing it right? It was good, funny at some point too. As for samurai animation, Rurouni Kenshin still is my #1 ^_^