March 1, 2009

Chun-Li = FAIL

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-LiStreet Fighter: The Legend of Chin-Li has got to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was a total waste of money!!

Well okay, so The Legend of Chun-Li had one saving grace: the lul'z. Srsly. This movie made me laugh so many times - even during the fight scenes.

I'm getting ahead of myself again.

So Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is...well the title basically sums the whole movie up. The plot centers around Chun-Li, from her childhood up to the time where the Street Fighter Tournament has been introduced to her. There's more story than action here as the producers tried to elaborate Chun-Li's past.

Which is where things started to go wrong. From what I remember, Chun-Li's father was a police agent, not a business man - which was his profession in the movie. I never also thought that Chun-Li was half-Caucasian. I always thought she was pure Chinese =/

Anyway, I wouldn't really want to give the story away for those who are still interested in watching Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li so I'll just focus my rants on other areas of the movie besides the plot:
  1. The story involves characters of different nationality, hence, different languages. What's the rant here? NO SUBTITLES. Even on the crucial scenes where details of Chun-Li's destiny were explained. Now I dunno if this was just something that occured in the cinema where we watched the movie, but still, the subtitles should've been included in the rendering of the movie - and not something applied like when you watch anime series right?
  2. The only character that came close to realizing how they really looked in the game was... no one. Bison looked like some uptight gentleman; Balrog looked like a goon; Vega was plain ugly; and Chun-Li? Heh.
  3. The fight scenes were bordering funny and crappy. I think I can explain it better this way: The fight scenes were so crappy, it just made me and Shad (my boyfriend) facepalm and laugh. Would you even call those "fight scenes"? They definitely wouldn't be considered as such in my book.
  4. The same goes for the special effects. Very cheap, very crappy. I can't put it more nicely.
  5. Kristin Kreuk as Chun-Li? She's skinny and her Chinese is a failure and... Man, Ming-Na (of the 1994 Street Fighter: The Movie with Jean-Claude Van Damme) was a good Chun-Li, IMO. Heck, Ming-Na looked like the 2D Chun-Li. (And yes, I loved that Street Fighter movie regardless of what the whole world says about it.)
  6. Okay, SPOILERS here: Gen (Chun-Li's mentor, member of the Web) was practically killed twice but he just kept popping up at the most anti-climactic times! He just appeared whenever Chun-Li needed help and it was funny and annoying too because I was already conditioned to the idea that he died just when he already taught Chun-Li what she needed to know in order to fight Bison. But noooo.. He just had to reincarnate every now and then.
  7. Vega is my favorite male character in the Street Fighter games. AND I HATE THIS MOVIE FOR MAKING HIM LOOK SO BUTT-UGLY! Vega (or Balrog - however you prefer to call him) is a pretty boy!!
  8. Should I continue to rant about the plot? It sux. Big time.
Bottomline is, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is a total waste of money and time. We could've just watched something else or played arcade or got us a new Sangokushi SD Gundam with the money we spent on the movie, but being the geeks that we are, Shad and I just had to see the movie.

Regrets... *sniff*

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll never see this movie just because of my hatred to Kristein Kreuek(sp?) when she played in smallville, I wanted her dead so much.

Unknown said...

Lol well not watching the movie will be a very good decision.

Anonymous said...

so wait u dont like the plot of this movie but u like the plot of the van dame movie..i dont get it

Unknown said...

Lol honestly, I don't really get why people dislike the Van Damme movie =/

Anonymous said...

umm..the plot? characters? everything about it is disrespectful to videogame fans? (van damme movie)

Unknown said...

Lol I grew up playing Street Fighter but I really liked the Van Damme movie.

Random by Design said...

You know, if you rename some characters, and the movie itself, this movie would actually be a pretty decent movie.

Unfortunately someone decided it should be a street fighter movie and ruined the whole thing.

Just like Mr. Anonymous up on top I as well can't swallow much of the actress. She's attractive, very talented and has a possible good hollywood career but I guess some of that hate I have for her tv character will always sink in wherever I see her.

It seems the movie took 3 steps back. Giving the original (Jean-Claude) version a higher rating. That definitely says alot.

Unknown said...

I never really watched Smallville so I can't relate on the whole Lana character...